This new year’s eve, we were going to visit a friend in the neighborhood. As always happens, it strikes you at the last minute that you must take something after all it’s New year’s eve! I had all the listed ingredients at home and what better way to enjoy citrus burst of the season along with the goodness of almonds! Needless to say I made this cake in a jiffy and my friends became its fan, so here we go with the recipe…
Breadcrumbs – 45 g
Ground almonds – 100 g
Castor sugar – 200 g
Cooking oil – 200 ml
Baking powder – 1 & 1/2
Eggs, beaten – 4
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1/2 lime
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of half a lime
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch
Cloves – 5 to 6
Cointreau – 1tbsp, if you like!
- Mix all the ingredients together and beat well.
- Pour the mixture in a greased and lined cake tin.
- Place it in the cold oven and start the oven (Yes, you put it in the cold oven!). Set the oven to 180 C and bake it for 40-45 mins until golden brown or skewer comes out clean.
- In the meantime, to make the syrup put all the ingredients in a pan and bring it to boil on low flame/heat.
- Simmering for 3-4 minutes, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cake is done, remove from tin, prick with fork and slowly pour the syrup over the cake using a spoon. You need to evenly soak it in the syrup.
Enjoy with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
First time I made this cake was about 6 years ago. I kept making various desserts for my guests and family and almost forgot about this one. Recently when my kids asked me to make something fruity and flavorful I opened my old diary where I use to make note of each and every dish that I would serve to my guests while I was in Sri Lanka, and guess what I stumbled upon this one. Now in past two weeks I have baked it three times and I guess it is high time that I share it with you.
200g castor sugar
l00g almonds, ground
1 ½ tsp baking powder
200 ml sunflower or vegetable oil
zest of 1 large orange
zest of ½ a lemon/ lime
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of ½ lime
1 piece of star anise
Cooking time: 40 – 50 minutes
Preparation time: 10 -15 minutes
Note: For this recipe do not preheat the oven.
Temperature: 190oC or 375oF or Gas mark 4
- Grease and line a cake tin (8 inch or 20cm)
- In a large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the ground almonds, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the oil and eggs to the mixture and beat well.
- Stir in the orange and lemon zest.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Put into a cold oven and set to heat to 190C (375F /gas mark 5).
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the cake is a rich brown and a skewer/ fork inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the tin then turn out onto a plate.
Method to prepare syrup:
- Bring all the ingredients gently to the boil in a pan stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
You can prepare the syrup while cake is baking.
- Pierce the cake with a skewer/ fork while still warm and pour the syrup over it.
- Leave to cool spooning the syrup over the cake every now and then until it is all soaked up.
Serve it with whipped cream.