My two girls are greatly fond of chicken curries – the more they get, the more they crave for it. Every time I buy chicken they ask for ‘curry with a difference’. Creative me – I never run out of ideas. This time, in the cold of winter when they wanted chicken curry, I came up with this recipe of ‘Chicken in yogurt gravy’ which is delicate and light. To my pleasant surprise it turned out delicious! So here we go with the recipe….
Chicken drumsticks 500 g
Yogurt/curd 1 and 1/2 cup
Large onions 2, thinly sliced
Garlic paste 1 tsp
Ginger paste 1 tsp
Chili powder 1 – 2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Juice of 1/2 lime
Fresh coriander – 1 handful, washed and chopped
Salt to taste
Any cooking oil – 1 tbsp (I used mustard oil)
- Mix yogurt with ginger-garlic paste, chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, salt and juice of lime.
- Add chicken to this mixture and leave aside to marinade it for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the sliced onions until golden brown.
- Add marinated chicken and stir fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add rest of the yogurt mix and keep stirring every now and then.
- Add chopped coriander and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until meat separates from the bone.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.