This new year’s eve, we were going to visit a friend in the neighborhood. As always happens, it strikes you at the last minute that you must take something after all it’s New year’s eve! I had all the listed ingredients at home and what better way to enjoy citrus burst of the season along with the goodness of almonds! Needless to say I made this cake in a jiffy and my friends became its fan, so here we go with the recipe…
Breadcrumbs – 45 g
Ground almonds – 100 g
Castor sugar – 200 g
Cooking oil – 200 ml
Baking powder – 1 & 1/2
Eggs, beaten – 4
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1/2 lime
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of half a lime
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch
Cloves – 5 to 6
Cointreau – 1tbsp, if you like!
- Mix all the ingredients together and beat well.
- Pour the mixture in a greased and lined cake tin.
- Place it in the cold oven and start the oven (Yes, you put it in the cold oven!). Set the oven to 180 C and bake it for 40-45 mins until golden brown or skewer comes out clean.
- In the meantime, to make the syrup put all the ingredients in a pan and bring it to boil on low flame/heat.
- Simmering for 3-4 minutes, turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cake is done, remove from tin, prick with fork and slowly pour the syrup over the cake using a spoon. You need to evenly soak it in the syrup.
Enjoy with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.