Whenever I ask my kids what would they like to have for dinner, mostly I get a reply “something different” and if not that, then “pasta or noodles”. And every time I have made pasta or noodles so far I used to feel guilty that I was not giving them a wholesome diet. But things have changed tremendously ever since I have got my pasta machine.
I make egg noodles, spaghetti, and fettuccine all from scratch using best of ingredients …… simply eggs and whole wheat flour (atta)! I also love to create colorful pastas by mixing in pureed spinach, tomato, beetroot or carrots, which makes both the children happy as well as me too as I know that they are not missing out on goodness of veggies.
Let’s keep the colorful pasta recipe ideas for later and let me share the recipe of egg noodles and the cold salad made using these egg noodles.
Ingredients for egg noodles:
Whole wheat flour – 300 g
Large eggs – 3
Sesame oil (or any other cooking oil)
- Mix in all the ingredients together to bind it in dough.
- Knead it until it all comes together well. Wrap it in a cling film and set aside for a while (8-10 minutes).
- Put a large pan of water to boil with a tea-spoon of salt.
- In the meantime, unwrap the dough and cut into three pieces. Wrap two parts back in the cling film so that dough doesn’t dry out and stretch the third one (or the first one!) on the pasta machine until you reach thickness or thinness of 7.
- Pass the stretched sheets through noodle cutter and put in the boiling water straight away.
- Allow it to boil for a minute or so, or until all noodles start floating (a sign that they are cooked)
- Using a spaghetti fork or large strainer, scoop them out of boiling water and put them in cold water to stop cooking and retaining the texture.
- Repeat the same with the remaining dough.
Ingredients for dressing:
Zest of one orange
Juice of an orange
Ginger juice 1 tsp
Sesame seeds, roasted – 2 tbsp
Orient seasoning salt – ½ tsp
Japanese seasoning – 2 tsp (I use Keya)
Sesame oil 2-3 tbsp
Rice vinegar – 1 tbsp
Brown sugar – 1tsp
Freshly ground black pepper – 1 tsp
- Mix in all the ingredients together except sesame oil.
- Add in the sesame oil slowly while whisking the dressing mixture until it all emulsifies together. Keep it aside.
Cabbage, finely grated – ½ cup
French beans, diagonally sliced, ½ cup
Onion, finely sliced – ½ cup
Green pepper, finely sliced – ½ cup
Carrots, julienned – ½ cup
A thin 2 egg omelette flavored with ginger juice, grated ginger, chili powder and salt, cut into thin slices.
A mixture of red chili paste ( I still get my red chili paste from Sri Lanka, they are the best at making it, although they call it Chinese chili paste!!!) in 2 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp rice vinegar.
- Boil a large pan of water and blanch all the veggies together for about 2 minutes.
- Strain through a colander and soak them in chilled water for 5-7 minutes. It helps retain the crunchiness and the color of the veggies.
To assemble the salad:
- Mix the dressing and the blanched veggies together. Taste for seasoning and adjust according to your taste.
- Next add the boiled, cold egg noodles and mix well. Use fingers to mix all the ingredients together and ensure noodles are well coated with dressing.
- Plate it up and top up with omelette strips and red chili paste.
And there you go, once again a wholesome meal with everybody’s favorite ingredients in it. Enjoy!